5 of the World’s Best Road Trips Road trip season might be winding down (game-day excursions excluded) but that doesn’t mean you can’t keep dreaming about future trips. Here are five of the world’s best road trips.
Garden Route – South Africa
- The route: This is the “it” destination for the adventurous crowd. This route is 150 mile long route is at Africa’s southernmost tip. It is full of high-energy activities, including bungee jumping, cage diving with sharks, casinos, a bizarre monkey world, caving, and an ostrich ride to name a few.
- Pit stop: You shouldn’t go without visiting the Bloukran’s Bridge. This spindly overpass straddles a slip of river 790ft below, and boasts the highest commercial bungee jump in the world.
Icefields Parkway –Canada
- The route: Canada has one the world’s most spectacular drives of a 144 mile tarmac ribbon. It connects two national parks and winds past limestone cliffs, gorgeous valleys, and some of the bluest water this side of your local putt-putt course. Look out for mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and elk.
- Pit stop: Visit the Glacier Discovery Centre and board a pimped-out school bus to sightsee the Athabasca Glacier. This behemoth ice cube won’t be around forever.
California Route 1 – United States
- This route: This 655 mile stretch runs from Los Angeles to San Francisco. It is sandwiched between the mountains and ocean of California’s western coastline. This road trip can be describe as the quintessential road trip.
- Pit stop: Check out Big Sur (the town), specifically the tap house. At Big Sur Tap House, you will find a mix of friendly locals, tasty brews, and some insider travel tips, like the season’s best camping spots.
Great Ocean Road – Australia
- The route: Leave it to the Aussies to forego bronze statues in favor of “The World’s Longest war Memorial” as tribute to their WWI veterans. This 151 stretch along Australia’s southeastern coast bypasses monstrous surf, cascading waterfalls, pristine rain forests, and a couple of whale lookout points, plus the odd koala bear and kangaroo.
- Pit stop: Make sure you don’t miss out on seeing the Twelve Apostles. Only eight of the nine craggy limestone pillars remain. They still deliver a stunning “behold-the-power-of-nature” effect.
Romantic Road – Germany
- The route: Germany’s Romantic Road is an inspiring 220 mile long run that winds through medieval towns, castles, and wine country, and offers more than a few places to stop for German beer served by women dressed like the S. Pauli Girl.
- Pit stop: Save a couple days to explore Munich and clank steins with fellow wayfarers at the famed Hofbräuhaus brewery. You can also try venturing over to the English Garden for pretzels the size of your head and a bona fide beer garden experience.
Source: Everitt, Lauren. "5 of the World's Best Road Trips." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 25 Aug. 2014. Web.